History of Parkersburg Country Club

June 26, 1902, the Parkersburg Country Club became the first country club to be incorporated in West Virginia. Attorney James S. McCluer and Dr. Orie Tolles were the guiding force behind the forming of the club and plans were made with architect William Howe Patton and contractor Alex Brown to build a colonial style clubhouse that was completed in June 1903 at a cost of $12,000.

On the night of the grand opening, June 11, 1903, a dance was held, many members and guests filled the new building. As all the lights were turned on they overloaded the circuits and the club was plunged into total darkness. Lanterns were found and lit and the dance went on as scheduled.

Two tennis courts made up the only outdoor recreation in the beginning but in 1905 a six hole golf course was added, "in order that members who would like to learn the game, had a place to start."

In April 1920, the club held an opening to celebrate some new features: "A slide for the swimming pool, croquet grounds and electric lights for the croquet and tennis courts". In 1922 a regulation golf course was built. Course Map

On Sunday, May 24, 1936, fire destroyed the club house with the loss estimated at $35,000.

The club house was rebuilt and opened in 1939. The ballroom was added in 1950 and the 1920 swimming pool replaced in 1954. The club house and pro shop were remodeled in 1979 and again in 1987. A third pool was added in 1980.

Hard times fell on the club during the Depression, when members "passed the hat" to keep the club afloat. Again in the 1960's, the club averted the possibility of bankruptcy with a renewed interest in golf, a revitalized social calendar, and the concerted efforts of a group of dedicated members.

Since 1902, Har-Tru tennis courts have succeeded the original lawn courts. The 1922 golf course has been redesigned and rerouted three times, and three new holes were added in 2003. PCC has been host to a variety of top-rated tournaments and exhibitions. The Club continues to flourish and celebrated its centennial in 2002.